BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

On Labeling: Should You be Offended?

Happy St. Patricks Day, Spookies!

I've unfortunately been forced to put the super-special post I promised you on the backburner because of extenuating circumstances (i.e., finals....wish me luck. I will need it). Nevertheless! I have vowed to bring you more postings, and so I shall. This (still very special) topic will overview the idea of labels, being referred to as a "goth", "punk", or what have you, and wether or not the whole idea of labels are offensive.

First of all, a disclaimer. This post is mainly based on my own experience, and the experiences of my friends. It may come off as a bit preachy, too, to those of us who have been in the scene for a while. If you disagree with anything I've said here, please feel free to share your own experience by commenting on this blog post.

I personally see nothing wrong with labels. Certainly the idea of a stranger judging you on your outward apperances and then condensing that down to a single dubious descriptor does not sound pleasant. But then again, it is very useful. After all, if it's got feathers like a duck, and it swims and quacks like a duck....

With that out of the way, there are a lot of words in American culture that are acceptable, or even complimentary when people of the same social group say them to eachother, but they become offensive when people outside that social group say them. Let's take a moment to identify a few of these words.

I argue that "Goth", "Punk", "Skate Rat" and the like fall into the same category. When an outside person calls a goth such, the immediate reaction is to get defensive. After all, what does that person know? I could have just chosen to wear black today. The tables become shifted, though, when two goths discuss the subject, or call one another goth. In this case it becomes complimentary, an understanding between two people who share a culture.

And in running with the common theme of politeness, if someone from outside your particular sphere of hanging-out politely approaches you with genuine interest (especially if they have genuine interest!), it'd be a nice gesture to answer their questions. After all, who wants to perpetuate the stereotype that alternative lifestyle people are an impenetrable clique of snobs?

I hope you've all enjoyed what I've had to say. As always, if you agree, disagree, or want to post your own opinion, please feel free to do so, and keep suggesting topics for future posts!

Love,
Miss Manic

0 comments: